We are road tripping to Phoenix from ABQ today. A short 6 hour drive, but no way do we want to leave our food choices up to truckstops and fast food joints. We want to feel our best when we reach our destination, and that means eating well on the road. When planning our road trip menu, my main focus was first, on the basics: a balance of healthy proteins, complex carbs and fats to keep everyone happy and satiated. We also needed things that would be easy to grab,low-mess and requiring little or no prep before heading out. It was a very busy morning to say the least! Here's what we ended up with:
1. Hummus (high fiber/protein/b vits/minerals)
2. Whole wheat tortillas for dipping or wrapping
3. Baby carrots for crunching and dipping
4. Raw Almonds (protein/healthy fat/minerals)
5. Dried mission figs (fiber/carb/minerals galore!)
6. Bananas, grapes, nectarines (non-grain carb w/fiber&nutrients)
7. Uncured grass-fed beef hotdogs (protein/Chemical-free yumminess)
8. Coconut water for electrolytes and something refreshing to sip on besides the water from our BPA-free reusable water bottles.
So far, so good! What do you take on your road trips? I would love to hear from you.
Blessings & Good Health,
The Gourmet Healer
Angie King-Nosseir MS, RD, LD, CLT
Certified LEAP Therapist (food sensitivities)
Certified in Pediatric & Adolescent Weight Management